Date: 10th April 2016 at 9:18am
Written by:

Wednesdayites aren’t used to what happened at Ashton Gate, well this season. A heavy defeat is something that our noisy neighbours are more accustomed too. But thanks to two penalty`s, a Wildsmith own goal and a Reid finish the Owls were downed 4 – 1 at the hands of Lee Johnson`s Robins` in the South West a win that helps the hosts take a big step towards Championship survival.

After initially naming six loanee’s in the match squad for a fan to realise on Twitter, and Wildsmith being jettisoned into the net after Westwood took a knock. The Owls seemed to be having the better of play with McGeady missing a great chance to opening the scoring but was denied by ex-Owls stopper Richard O`Donnell. It was the hosts who took a 10th-minute lead when the unmarked Tomlin met an Adam Matthews cross from the right with a sweet volley at the far post and the ball found a way in despite the combined efforts of goalkeeper Joe Wildsmith and two defenders on the line.

Unfortunately, Wildsmith’s and the Owls afternoon only worsened as the England Under 21`s keeper was beaten again just three minutes later when Luke Freeman latched onto a quickly taken free kick and picked out Bobby Reid, who found the top corner with a right-footed shot from 12 yards.

Must tussle in the middle of the park looked to be the order of the day, but City were out of sight on 42 minutes as Lee Tomlin beat Wildsmith from the spot after he’d been fouled by Liam Palmer.

So, who predicted 3 – 0 down at half time? No not us either! Bristol you sensed knew Carvalhal would read the Wednesday players the riot act and look for a fast reaction. However, a second penalty on 52 minutes piled on the agony for the visiting supporters.

Bobby Reid was tripped by Wildsmith after he went after a through ball from Kodjia. Kodjia slotted home from the spot to ensure all three-points and a giant leap towards Championship survival.

Wednesday did manage to net a consolation on 61 minutes when Ross Wallace struck a left-footed free kick from 30 yards out and it went in off the post. The second half continued to see chances at both ends, with Kodjia shooting narrowly wide and Bannan going close with another free kick.

It was a very disappointing trip for the 1,467 Owls fans who made the long journey from Yorkshire and their side could have no complaints.