Date: 20th April 2016 at 12:13am
Written by:

Wednesday were left annoyed and frustrated on a fiery night at Hillsborough where Ross Wallace saw red as tempers flared, as playoff chasing Wednesday only managed a goalless draw with MK Dons.

The result all but end the Dons tenure in the Championship with three games remaining and nine points to make up on those above them. Wednesday on the other hand moved six clear of Russell Slade’s Cardiff side who failed to achieve a result in the Capital against Brentford losing 2 – 1.

The night seemed to be dominated by Wednesday with Daniel Pudil having the first chance of the game, striking a volley wide of debutant goalkeeper Charlie Burns’ right-hand post from the edge of the box, as mere warning of what was to follow. The Dons who played some nice passing football after Jack Hunt allowed Jordan Spence space and he found himself through on goal but Owls keeper Kieren Westwood parried away his weak shot.

Wallace was next to test Burns with a long range strike that he did well to handle. A defensive mix-up between Dean Lewington and Darren Potter almost led to a comical own goal, but it wasn’t to be and Wallace again was denied by Burns as 30m minutes hit.

Bannan missed a great chance skying the ball ovet the bar after Pudil had picked him out with a neat cross. Afterwards, Pudil himself nearly opened the scoring when his angled cross-cum-shot curled and struck the frame of the goal with Burns well beaten.

0 – 0 at halftime and fans busied themselves check scores elsewhere as Wednesday set about opening the scoring as they attacked the Kop in the second half. Pudil again was involved as crossed the ball along the six yard box but no Owls player made a connection. In the 50th minute, a whipped cross from the left-hand side by Pudil was headed over the bar from close range by substitute Atdhe Nuhiu.

Nuhiu, a second half substitute was making a big difference and he went close to the opener as his headed effort came back off the post, much to the annoyance of the Kop.

Glenn Loovens wad next up as he headed a Wallace corner wide of the goal and Forestieri then twisted and turned inside the box before forcing a reaction save from Burns. It was one-way traffic and the chances keptnon coming. As Pudil set up anothe chance for Nuhiu but with Dons bodies on the line it again didn’t register.

That man again, Pudil, hit the bar with a stabbed effort from Wallace’s in-swinging corner. Forestieri again whistled a shot just passed the post and as the clock ticked into the last few minutes the little Italian wizard was centre of attention again.

Forestieri was again booked for diving despite the presents of three Dons players and in the result melee of players. Ross Wallace was shown a straight red card by referee Darren Handley for an off-the-ball incident with Jonny Williams.

With the clock put up with four minites injury time, Wednesday again and for the fourth ans last time hit the frame of the goal for the as Bannan’s free-kick cannoned off the bar in the last meaningful action of the game.