Date: 17th May 2016 at 2:06pm
Written by:

As the second half went on the Sheffield Wednesday fans made a growing amount of noise. And as the final whistle blew that was it, WEDNESDAY ARE ON THEIR WAY TO WEMBLEY!!!!!

Much to the disappointment of the media (predominately based in the South) Wednesday broke Brighton’s hearts in the Championship play-off semi-final second leg as Ross Wallace’s strike ensured the match ended in a draw, meaning the Owls win three-one on aggregate.

The play-offs haven’t been kind to Brighton yet again, but Wednesday fans won’t care as over the two matches Wednesday were the better team.

Brighton, as all fans will have been expected started at 100mph and hit Wednesday with attack after attack. Wednesday could do nothing but keep the ball out and they threw their bodies in the way of every shot. A mad goalmouth scramble more-or-less kicked off the game. Followed by Knockaert hitting the post from a free-kick, and then from another he nearly outsmarted Westwood with a low shot, but the Republic of Ireland international saved. Lewis Dunk volleyed in from another Knockaert free-kick to end the Owls resistance and give Brighton some hope.

Wednesday against the run of play managed to silience the home support (and speakers) as they got a goal back quickly via Ross Wallace followed up his goal in the first leg with an equaliser before the half hour mark as his cross ended up going in putting Albion back to square one again. Brighton protested that Gary Hooper had pushed their defenders out of the way, but to no avail as the goal was awarded.

Brighton rallied after that set back and James Wilson forced Westwood to tip over and followed shortly by a Skalak freekick that went over the top. Fullback Bruno headed straight at the Wednesday ‘keeper but in injury time of the first half. But, it was once more the Owls that almost got a second killer goal as a quick break saw Forestieri race into the opposing half, and play in a cheeky cross that Hooper met with his head to be smartly saved by Stockdale in the Seagulls goal.

Could Brighton continue that frantic pace and pressure on the Owls in the second half? In a word No! It was a nervy affair as neither side would give the other an inch with Brighton’s tiredness become apparent as they resulted in long balls and fouling Wednesday everyone they broke.

Bannan took the ball forward in the first meaningful attack of the second period and struck at goal only for Stockdale to spill but Wallace couldn`t find a team mate on the follow up.

With Sam Hutchinson, Jeremy Helan and Atdhe Nuhiu all on for the Owls, Wednesday were doing tremendously at limiting Brighton`s chances in front of goal.

As six minutes of injury time was announced the outstanding Westwood produced another sensational stop to deny goalscorer Dunk a second of the evening as Loovens cleared to make history and send Wednesday back to Wembley for the first time in 23 years.

Wednesday will find out their Wembley oppenants this evening, Tuesday May 17th, 2016 as Hull play Derby at 19:45bst with the Tigers leading 3-0 on aggregate. Ahead of the second leg between Hull and Derby the ‘smart money’ would be on Steve Bruce’s side providing the opposition, but do we care? The Owls drew 1 – 1 and 0 – 0 against both Derby and Hull earlier this season.

Highlights –