Date: 6th April 2016 at 5:41pm
Written by:

Wednesday moved another step closer to securing a Championship play-off spot by claiming a fourth straight win as they came from behind to beat Blackburn 2-1 at Hillsborough on Tuesday evening.

Opening the scoring for the visitors Craig Conway who headed home seconds after the restart. Wallace forced a Henley own goal on 51 minutes before he finished a Forestieri cross 11 minutes later.

As the game started, Rovers made the unpopular decision to swap ends, meaning Wednesday attacked the Kop in the first half. Ross Wallace had the first attempt on goal of the evening when his low driven effort was comfortably saved by Jason Steele. Then ex-Owls player Ben Marshall cut inside, and went past two Owls defenders, but Loovens threw himself in the way taking a knock as he fell, meaning he was replaced by Vincent Sasso shortly after.

Jack Hunt continued to get forward for Wednesday and one of his crosses found Gary Hooper inside the six-yard box. He held off Grant Hanley and turned, but his shot was easily saved by Steele as he failed to make a full connection. Joao then burst into the box and played in Forestieri but the striker could not sort his feet out in time to get a shot away.

0 – 0 at halftime as Wednesday pondered who Carvalhal would bring on to seize the three-points on offer and needed, one could argue.

No changes made by Carlos, but the deadlock was broken within 30 seconds of the restart, not by Wednesday! It came courtesy of Conway’s diving header. Lenihan`s cross from the right was met by Conway whose header nestled in Westwood’s net.

Wednesday replied swiftly and were level within five minutes. Wallace was found by Hooper, and he fired the ball back across the box. It deflected off Henley then up and over Steele into the back of the Rovers net. Wednesday didn’t look back from that point and moments later the pendulum swung once more in the home side’s favour. As Rovers scorer Conway was shown a straight red card by for a mistimed challenge on Alex Lopez.

Wednesday then pulled in front as Westwood’s long clearance was controlled by Forestieri glided into the box and got to the byline before drilling the ball across for Wallace to volley the Owls into the lead.

Wednesday sought a third and continued to create half-chances, they also kept possession well which meant that Rovers failed to threaten an equaliser. Joao fired wide before Aiden McGeady smashed a shot from range which cannoned off the crossbar in added time, but Wednesday had done enough to move to within a point of fourth placed Hull City.