Date: 12th August 2009 at 9:40am
Written by:

Wednesday booked their place in the second round of the Carling Cup as they eased by League Two side Rochdale at Hillsborough on Tuesday night.

Brian Laws’ much-changed side had the tie all but sewn up after Etienne Esajas and Jermanine Johnson scored twice is as many first-half minutes to give the visitors a mountain to climb.

And Johnson added a second, to take his tally for the season to three in two matches, to seal Wednesday’s progression in the second half.

Before the match, Laws had highlighted the clash as an important one for his men, both on the pitch, and off it for some much-needed financial gain from progression in the competition.

And although his desire to progress to round two, he made a number of changes to the side that started the season against Barnsley at the weekend.

Tommy Miller was given his competitive debut in the blue and white stripes, while Sean McAlliser, Esajas, Frank Simek and Mark Beevers all got outings against the Spotland club.

The Owls made a fast-paced start at the weekend and they continued in the same way on Tuesday night, with the pace of Johnson causinng the visitors all kinds of problems early on.

The Jamaican was moved to play in attack with Tudgay, and the pair almost linked in the opening minutes but Tudgay’s flick was comfortably dealt with by the ‘Dale stopper.

Wednesday were expected to progress prior to the match and the game looked to be goingn exactly to plan in the early exchanges, with the visitors rarely threatening the Wednesday goal.

But, although the hosts were playing some neat stuff in attack, it took a moment of magic from Dutchman Esajas to open the scoring on 19 minutes, powering a looping 25-yard effort into the back of the goal.

The Owls’ tails were up, and Wednesday doubled their advantage in double quick time from the restart.

Johnson went on a trademark run between two Rochdale defenders before unleashing a powerful, low effort which left the Rochdale ‘keeper with no chance as the floodgates looked to have opened.

But, to Rochdale’s credit, they didn’t crumble after their early downfall, and although Wednesday were controlling much of the possession, the visitors didn’t allow the Owls too many chances to add to their advantage.

That was until five minutes into the second half, when Wednesday wrapped up the game and their progression to the next round.

A superb, defence-splitting ball from Potter saw Johnson break the offside trap and calmly finish by slotting the ball over the advancing Rochdale stopper to make it 3-0 and with Dale seemingly out of the competition.

The goal saw Laws introduce Francis Jeffers, Michael Gray and Richard Hinds, for Tudgay, Johnson and Tommy Spurr respectively as Wednesday sat comfortably on the ball for the remainder of the game.

Miller and Jeffers both came close to adding to the Owls’ tally, but Laws will have been pleased with the way in which his troops progressed to round two with a comfortable success.

Full-Time: Wednesday 3-0 Rochdale