Date: 28th August 2007 at 11:15pm
Written by:

Yoann Folly marked his return to action with a last minute winner as Wednesday huffed and puffed their way by League One side Hartlepool in to the third round of the Carling Cup on Tuesday night.

The Owls were desperate to get back on winning ways following a disappointing start to the new campaign which has seen them fall to three consecutive defeats to prop up the rest of the Championship in the opening matches.

But the League Cup is providing some respite from league matters, with two wins in two, albeit against lower division opposition in Rotherham United and Hartlepool. But at the least the Owls are still in the competition after other teams such as Sunderland, Wigan and Wolves were all knocked out by teams lower down the league ladder.

Brian Laws showed his determination to bag a confidence boosting victory with the line-up, with only Lee Grant and Leon Clarke missing from the weekend defeat at Charlton with Robert Burch and Marcus Tudgay replacing them respectively.

And the strong-looking Owls squad made the better start to the clash as they looked to bounce back from the weekend disappointment, forcing Hartlepool stopper Jan Budtz in to a number of early saves from Glenn Whelan and Marcus Tudgay.

The Owls were looking good, albeit against lower league opposition, with Glenn Whelan and Frank Simek showing their class, Jermaine Johnson showing sparkling magic throughout, and Marcus Tudgay running his feet in to the ground with a superb work rate in the first 45 minutes.

And Wednesday upped the pressure on the Pools goal, despite a sole effort from Matty Robson which went just wide of the goal, with Tommy Spurr seeing an effort whacked off the line while Burton O’Brien also had a powerful effort blocked by the Hartlepool defence.

But Wednesday were given a warning of what was to come just minutes before the break as James Brown slipped at the crunch time before launching an effort towards Burch’s goal.

Half-Time: Wednesday 0-0 Hartlepool

Hartlepool had a number of links with Hillsborough, with former player Danny Wilson managing the team which included fellow former Owls Richie Humphreys and Richie Barker, while former player and manager Chris Turner also arrived with the Monkey Hangers.

But the Owls continued where they left off in the first half as Budtz kept out Tudgay on two occasions just minutes after the restart.

The former Derby man linked well with strike partner Deon Burton before seeing his low effort well blocked before the Owls’ number seven also saw Budtz save his effort from a Kenny Lunt corner.

But it was the visitors who took the unlikely advantage against the run of play nine minutes in to the second half as former Leeds and Burnley hitman Ian Moore bagged the opening when he pounced on a close-range effort to give Burch no chance and make it 1-0.

The goal had visibly lifted the visitors – who were keen to make amends for the 2005 play-off defeat at Cardiff – and the League One new boys played some good football by keeping the ball away from Wednesday and making it frustrating for the near 9,000 crowd at Hillsborough.

And it took a moment of magic from the Owls’ jet heeled Jamiacan winger Jermaine Johnson to carve open the Hartlepool defence and put Deon Burton through with a fine through to see the former Derby man lash the ball home with a neat finish to level the scores.

Wednesday continued to push forward to progress to the next round in the 90 minutes but Budtz was again in top form to thwart Burton a second of the night with a superb save with his arm and leg which somehow kept the ball out to the amazement of the Owls number ten.

The first half of extra-time almost sent the majority of the Hillsborough crowd to sleep and it looked as though penalties were looming.

But Yoann Folly popped up late on as he capitalised on a slip by Joel Porter to bag the winner in the final minute of extra time to give the Owls some late cheer and see them progress to round three.

Full-Time: Wednesday 2-1 Hartlepool AET

Wednesday: Burch; Simek, Hinds, Wood, Spurr; Johnson, Lunt (Folly 108), Whelan, O’Brien (Boden 108); Tudgay (Bullen 94), Burton (Capt). Subs: Grant, Bullen, Gilbert, Boden, Folly.

Hartlepool: Budtz; McCunnie, Nelson (Capt), Antwi, Humphreys; Brown (Monkhouse 75), Boland (Foley 36), Liddle, Robson; Barker, Moore (Porter 90).