Date: 19th August 2007 at 11:40pm
Written by:

Wednesday remain pointless and propping up the rest of the Championship table after losing their second game from two so far this season with defeat against Wolves at Hillsborough on Sunday.

The Owls were desperate to carry their 3-1 victory over Rotherham during midweek in to the clash and get their first three points of the season on the board after falling to a disappointing defeat at Ipswich last weekend.

But further defensive woe and a lack of cutting edge in the Owls attack saw them fall to another defeat in front of a relatively poor crowd for the first home clash of the season of just 22,131.

Owls boss Brian Laws stuck with youngster Tommy Spurr at left-back in place of Peter Gilbert but Lee Bullen returned to the side after being dropped for the clash with Rotherham, with Steve Watson missing out prior to kick-off.

Francis Jeffers got his first start at Hillsborough since making the £700,000 move from Blackburn while Wade Small continued on the left-wing following the sale of Chris Brunt to West Brom in midweek.

But despite the confidence brought in to the clash from the midweek victory over Rotherham, it was the visitors who looked in control early on and they eventually took the lead after just 14 minutes at a rain-soaked Hillsborough.

As with the defeat at Portman Road on the opening day, it was the Owls who caused their own downfall as a loose Deon Burton pass back to the defence ended up at the feet of Michael Kightly who fed Andy Keogh before former Southend man Eastwood picked up the loose ends to fire Mick McCarthy’s men in front.

And things were going from bad to worse for Laws and co. as new signing Francis Jeffers, who missed the clash with Rotherham through injury, returned to limp off the field on 20 minutes to see former Wolves man Leon Clarke return to the Owls attack.

Wade Small had been in superb form in pre-season and also netted in his first start against the Millers in midweek and it was the former MK Dons man who looked the biggest threat for Wednesday as he saw a header bounce wide before lashing a shot low and wide.

But although Wednesday were getting themselves in the game as the half progress, Wolves looked the more deadly on the attack and could be somewhat unfortunate to see a second ruled out as Andy Keogh saw his effort chalked off for offside.

Leon Clarke and Jermaine Johnson both saw efforts charged down by the Wolves defence as Wednesday continued to mount some serious pressure on the Wolves defence, and they were finally rewarded deep in to first half injury time as Wade Small netted the leveller.

Glenn Whelan’s floating corner found the head of Deon Burton before Small notched his second in as many games from point blank range to grab the Owls’ leveller and give them a confidence boost going in to the break.

But all Wednesday’s hard work before the break went to waste just after the re-start as poor positioning at the back allowed Eastwood to waltz clear before putting in the highly-rated Michael Kightly in with an effort which gave the visitors the lead for a second time.

One plus point from the clash was the never-say-die attitudes of Glenn Whelan and Frank Simek who drove the Owls forward, but Jermaine Johnson was enjoying little pleasure after the break as he become increasingly frustrated in attack.

Wednesday continued to push men forward in search of the equaliser and were caught on the break by substitute Jay Bothroyd who wrapped up the three points for Wolves with a neat finish in injury time.

Wednesday: Grant; Simek, Bullen, Wood, Spurr; Johnson, Lunt (Hinds 86), Whelan (O’Brien 77), Small; Jeffers (Clarke 20), Burton. Subs: Burch, Gilbert, Hinds, O’Brien, Clarke.

Wolves: Hennessey; Foley, Ward, Breen (Collins 33), Gray; Kightly, Potter (Henry 68), Olofinjana, Ward; Eastwood (Bothroyd 87), Keogh. Subs: Stack, Collins, Henry, Bothroyd, Bennett.