Date: 14th March 2009 at 6:27pm
Written by:

They say things even themselves up during the course of the season – and that statement couldn’t have been proven more true from Wednesday over the last week.

Wednesday were left with just a point to show from their efforts in their midweek clash at Preston – with the hosts bagging a late, late equaliser to rob the Owls of all three points at Deepdale.

But Wednesday had to wait just a matter of days for the statement to come to fruition, with Francis Jeffers this time bagging a late, late leveller to see the Owls take a share of the spoils from their clash at Vicarage Road.

Marcus Tudgay had given the visitors a 20th minute lead before a Mark Beevers own goal and a Job McAnuff enough saw the hosts turn the game on its head, and give Watford the ideal chance to continue their impressive form against Brian Laws’ men.

But Jermaine Johnson was hauled down inside the box late on to allow Jeffers to power home his second goal in as many games and give the Owls a point.

Wednesday boss Brian Laws was pleased with his side’s showing at Deepdale but he was forced into one change for the trip to face the Hornets with James O’Connor replacing the injured Darren Potter in the centre of midfield.

Watford were still looking for vital points to drag them away from relegation trouble but it was Wednesday who looked the more dangerous in the opening exchanges, although chances were few and far between.

The Owls were putting some good passing moves together, continuing the trend from midweek, but, as has been the case for most of the season, they couldn’t get that final ball in the final third to break the hosts down.

But Wednesday didn’t have to wait long to get their breakthrough as Tudgay bagged his 13th of the season as a reward for the Owls’ early efforts.

It came with another little bit of luck though.

A deep cross from Michael Gray was spilled by Watford stopper Scott Loach and Tudgay was well positioned to steer the ball home for the opener on 20 minutes.

Wednesday were in good form, continuing their fine form on the road, and they almost made it 2-0 on the half hour mark as Spurr tried to lob the approaching Loach, this time the Hornets’ stopper producing a brilliant save.

Wednesday looked to be deservedly taking the lead into the advantage before Laws’ men were delivered a huge sucker-punch just before the half-time whistle, this time in the most unfortunate of circumstances.

Tamas Priskin put the presure on Mark Beevers as Watford launched a long ball forward, but a mix-up between the Owls’ defender and ‘keeper Lee Grant saw the young defender put the ball into his own net.

Half-Time: Watford 1-1 Wednesday

Brian Laws will have no doubt have been left with a difficult half-time team talk following the late set-back, while the hosts will have been given a huge boost for the start of the second half, having hardly been in the game.

Michael Gray tested Loach with a long-range effort before Watford showed their upturn in confidence with a vastly improved second-half showing.

But the effort was to be the last of the match for Gray, who left the field injured just ten minutes after the restart to be replaced by the young Luke Boden.

And it was a double blow for Wednesday, who went behind for the first time just minutes later as Jobi McAnuff put the hosts in the lead.

The former Crystal Palace man was well positioned to head in from a Don Cowie cross as Wednesday looked to be heading for another defeat.

Watford were in command and they could have made the game secure on the hour mark but Owls’ stopper Lee Grant was again at the top of his game to prove just why he’s a contender for the Owls’ player of the season.

Grant came racing off his line to deny McAnuff a second when he should have done better after Priskin had sent him through on goal.

Wednesday’s injury concerns continued with 20 minutes to go when Spurr limped off with an injury to be replaced by Frank Simek.

But the Owls upped their game and started to throw men forward in the search of a point, Beevers having a good effort on goal thwarted, while Johnson continued to cause problems down the wing, with no finishing product.

The game looked to be heading Watford’s way before Johnson had one last say on the match when he was sent to the floor inside the box to give Wednesday a last-gasp penalty to share the spoils.

Jeffers lined up as the home support looked to put the striker off, but he kept his cool to bag the Owls a point and steer home his second goal in as many games.

Full-Time: Watford 2-2 Wednesday

Watford: Loach, Doyley, Mariappa, Mike Williamson, Harley, Cork, Cowie, McAnuff, Lee Williamson (Hoskins 46), Jenkins, Priskin. Subs Not Used: Lee, Hoyte, Cauna, Parkes.

Wednesday: Grant, Buxton, Beevers, Wood, Spurr (Simek 70), McAllister, O’Connor (Hinds 85), Gray (Boden 53), Johnson, Tudgay, Jeffers. Subs Not Used: O’Donnell, McMenamin.