Date: 18th October 2019 at 10:40pm
Written by:

Following the end of the October international break, Sheffield Wednesday were given a trip to Wales to face off against Neil Warnock’s Cardiff City side on Friday evening.

With six wins from eleven ahead of the break, Wednesday were in good form after the hiccup against Hull City at the beginning of the month, and we were again looking to make it back to back victories. Given the Friday slot, three points would also take us into second place in the Championship table.

There was disappointment during the warm up as Keiran Westwood had to drop out with injury, and he was replaced by Cameron Dawson.

It was a bright enough start and Julian Borner handed us the advantage 19 minutes into the game and Cardiff really had no response and we went into the halftime break with the 1-0 lead, and we hadn’t yet suffered a shot on target from them.

The hosts were better in the second period though, and although there’s some controversy about a potential offside, they did equalise late on with only minutes remaining and it will disappoint many, as despite improvement Cardiff didn’t really threaten until then.

Speaking to the BBC following the full time whistle, manager Garry Monk said of the performance.

“We are frustrated that we didn’t get the win because we had enough chances to make it comfortable. The first 50 or 60 minutes was exactly what we wanted. We didn’t allow them to turn the game into a physical scrap, which is what they wanted. But we just didn’t have control in that final period, although I am disappointed with the goal. If it had been a legitimate goal, fair enough, but I am told it wasn’t even a foul for the free-kick. Then they had one of their players doing star jumps, trying to distract our keeper. How they missed that, I don’t know because it’s not hard to spot – a 6ft 5 inch player doing star jumps.”

Previous Article:

“The Most Important Bit” – Monk Pleased With Wednesday’s Efforts With Another Lull On The Horizon