Malone Rescues Late Point For Fulham Against Owls

Image for Malone Rescues Late Point For Fulham Against Owls

Wednesday returned to Yorkshire with a share of the spoils after Scott Malone scored an injury-time leveller to earn Fulham a 1-1 draw.

Fernando Forestieri’s fine strike opened the scoring and for long periods of the match looked to have earnt the Owls three-points. But, Fulham drove on a made the Owls pay for not killing off the game earlier on.

Wednesday looked bright from the off and as the clock ticked into double digits Forestieri brilliantly finished off a swift interchange between Hooper, Bannan and himself.

The home side nearly hit back via Lucas Piazon’s freekick but it was deflected wide. The corner after could only see Kevin McDonald head over the bar into the fans. Ross Wallace was almost gifted a chance but Cottagers` keeper Button was alive to the danger. Before the same keeper could only but watch a well created chance for Barry Bannan but his firmly hit half volley flew over the bar. Fulham then had a half chance when Sone Aluko’s deflected shot nearly caught out Wednesday keeper Kieren Westwood but the Irish international claimed.

Clearing long Westwood almost played in Gary Hooper who raced clear and was one-on-one with Button before firing wide as he seemed to miscue his strike. Fernando Forestieri also then drilled wide from the edge of the area after taking the ball on from Wallace.

As halftime arrived Fulham attacking their own fans upped the pace and threat going forward. Aluko heading just over from Cairney’s cross. Although Owls sub Steven Fletcher could have scored from a Barry Bannan freekick but directed his attempt over.

The home side remained a threat and Jack Hunt came to Wednesday’s rescue to deny Ayite from Odoi’s cross before Cairney could then only shoot straight at Westwood from close range. Scott Parker missed as chances seemed to come and go for the Whites and Wednesday appeared to clinging onto the three-points for the second time in a row at Craven Cottage.

However, it wasn’t to be as Fulham rescued a point in the first minute of added time as Ayite flicked on from Aluko’s cross before Malone slammed home on the half-volley despite the desperate dive of Jack Hunt to block the shot.

Share this article

We're on Social media as @VitalWednesday