Date: 13th December 2009 at 1:15pm
Written by:

Wednesday gave Leicester arguably their easiest three points of the season and slipped to their ninth game without a win at the Walkers Stadium on Saturday.

It was a performance that was to cost boss Brian Laws his job 24 hours later, and a performance that will leave many Wednesdayites pondering just where the next win’s coming from.

Steve Howard bagged his first goal of the season, while Andy King enjoyed a brace to see the Foxes bounce back from two disappointing defeats against Bristol City and Nottingham Forest respectively.

But Wednesday could only create one real chance on goal before the Foxes were home and dry, with Sean McAllister seeing a tame effort cleared off the line – a worrying sign given the Foxes had conceded eight goals in their previous two outings.

Under-fire Laws stuck with the same eleven that put in a battling performance against Doncaster Rovers in midweek, despite falling to a 1-0 defeat at the Keepmoat Stadium.

Loanees Tom Soares and Warren Feeney were still waiting for their first start in the blue and white, while Leicester lad Luke Varney had to make do with a place on the bench.

The Owls could take some confidence from their midweek showing at Doncaster, and they took it into the first five minutes at the Walkers.

The visitors enjoyed the majority of the possession in the Leicester half but without really creating anything in the way of chances.

Jermaine Johnson looked lively, but couldn’t get through the stubborn Foxes defence, while McAllister carried on where he left off after a good showing at Doncaster.

But despite the bright early start, it was Leicester who made the breakthrough just eight minutes in and against the run of play.

The first goal was always going to be key, and it came when the re-called Fryatt, returning in place of the suspended Martin Waghorn, sent a high cross to the back post, and Howard was well positioned for a trademark header by Lee Grant.

The goal lifted the hosts, and did little to help the confidence of the visitors, although Marcus Tudgay did come close with an ambitious over-head kick that went just wide of the goal.

The Foxes were in command though – Wednesday’s early pressure dying off – and it was 20, and almost game over as early as the 16th minute.

The frail Wednesday defence failed to deal with Fryatt, who sent King through for a clinical finish by Grant – the first of his two goals in a successful afternoon for the midfielder.

In what looked like a desperate move, Laws made a double substitution to try and change the flow of the game before it was too late.

Jermaine Johnson, arguably the Owls’ biggest threat going forward, and Darren Potter, were replaced by Michael Gray and Tom Soares as Wednesday changed to a 4-4-2 formation from their opening 4-3-3 line-up.

It failed to change the flow of the game though, with the visitors failing to remotely trouble the Leicester goal as the hosts took a commanding 2-0 lead into the half-time break.

The Owls stopped the attacking threat of the Foxes on the resumption, for the most part, but they failed to cause any trouble at the other end, with Leicester looking comfortable on their lead.

Chances were few and far between, but when the best chance of the game finally came to Wednesday, thanks to a mix-up in the Foxes defence, they failed to take their chance as McAllister’s tame effort into an open goal was cleared off the line.

Darren Purse and Tudgay came close for Wednesday, but it all seemed a bit too little, too late, and it was the Foxes who threatened at the other end.

Fryatt was sent through on goal, but he didn’t have the pace to get vlear of Mark Beevers, and the youngster stuck a leg out to win the ball, despite claims of a penalty from the home support.

Beevers almost got in hot water moments later when he mis-judged a Leicester throughball and hauled down their attacker – but was deemed not to be the last man and was booked rather than given his marching orders.

And the game was sealed on 73 minutes with King’s second of the game, this time Ryan McGivern’s cross falling for the midfielder to fire home from close range and seal the points for Nigel Pearson’s men.