Date: 27th February 2016 at 10:09pm
Written by:

Wednesday took a point away at Championship title hopefuls Hull City in a night marred by a poor refereeing decision that saw Fernando Forestieri sent off for the second time in a week.

Forestieri was dismiised in sinilar circumstances against Preston last weekend and a shirt pull followed by a second booking for diving late in the game. Earlier in the night he had rattled the bar with a fierce shot from distance. Likewise in the second half Hull midfielder Sam Clucas witnessed his curled effort rebound of the post, as both sides could not find the breakthrough.

The draw sees Hull City slip in second aftrr Burnley’s win over Bolton whilst Wednesday retain sixth spot and are thankfully that neither Derby or Birmingham could win this weekend.

The first real chance of the game could have seen the Owls take the lead woth an own goal as Allan McGregor reacted quickly to keep out a deflected shot from Barry Bannan. Shortly after Forestieri hit a dipping free-kick that the Scottish keeper had to nudge over the bar.

Down the other end Robert Snodgrass was the first to test Westwood in the Owls net as he went close for the hosts when he controlled a deep cross to the far post but his shot from a tight angle was saved by the Irishinternational.

As both team cancelled each other out it was Wednesday star man Forestieri who almost broke the deadlock eight minutes before half-time. After neat play between Bannan and McGeady, space opened up for Forestieri who hit a dipping shot that beat McGregor but came back off the bar.

Wednesday had the better of the firat half but it was Hull who made a bright start to the second half as Clucas chipped narrowly wide after he had been put through on goal.

Shortly after the same player had Hull’s best chance but he was denied by the post after 65 minutes. After neat build up play his curling shot from the edge syruck the foot of the post. The visitors cleared the loose ball for a corner but Davies headed just wide as the home side saw another opportunity missed.

Snodgrass then shot at Westwood before the Wednesday goalkeeper saved from Abel Hernandez with 10 minutes remaining. As the game moved into the dying embers, the big talking point arose. Forestieri picked up the ball after a neat challenge from Bennett, he looked set to race through on goal and was brought down by a Michael Dawson challenge. Referee Tim Robinson showed Forestieri a second yellow card for simulation despite Dawson holdong his hands up for his mistake.

Wednesday held out for the final few minutes of injury time to claim a well earned point at the KC Stadium ahead of next Saturday’s visit of Neil Warnock and his Rotherham United side.