Date: 19th January 2007 at 11:31am
Written by:

Owls striker Deon Burton has played down talks of a move to League Two side MK Dons by revealing he is set to sit down and discuss a new contract with Owls boss Brian Laws.

The 30-year-old has been a key part of Wednesday’s climb to within four points of the play-off spots, but the arrival of Leon Clarke prompted many Owls fans to believe the former Derby and Portsmouth man was on his way out of S6.

Burton told the official SWFC site: ‘It’s great that the manager wants me to stay, and good for me to concentrate on my football,’ he said. ‘This is the biggest club I’ve been at, and I’ve been at a few. I’ve never wanted to leave since I’ve been here.’

And Burton, who netted the winner in the Owls impressive 2-1 victory at Stoke City over Christmas, revealed he knew nothing of the reports (yes, including this one!) linking him with a move to MK Dons, to re-unite him with former boss Martin Allen.

He added: ‘I spoke to my agent and he didn’t know anything about it. It was surprising because my agent said the club are going to start talks to offer me a new contract.’

Burton has made 37 league starts for the Owls since making the short move to Hillsborough from Rotherham United at the start of last year, netting seven goals.