Date: 8th January 2011 at 6:51pm
Written by:

Wednesday progressed to the FA Cup fourth round for the first time in a decade as they saw off Championship side Bristol City in emphatic fashion at Ashton Gate.

The Owls produced a superb second-half performance to see off the Robins in 16 scintillating minutes of attacking football as Gary Teale, Neil Mellor and Clinton Morrison bagged the goals to see Wednesday through.

It came after a first-half which could have easily seen the hosts ahead and with boss Alan Irvine celebrating his first year in charge at the club.

Irvine included both new additions in his back four, with Reda Johnson and Michael Morrison going into defence alongside skipper Darren Purse and Daniel Jones, who replaced Tommy Spurr at left-back.

Robins boss Keith Millen marked the game as the most important of his side’s season to date before the match, and the hosts started brightly.

City had endured a tough start to their Championship campaign but were in improved form going into the game and Albert Adomah fired an early warning shot in the opening exchanges.

The home side continued to carve out all the chances with Brett Pitman looking to add to his eight goals in his last eight outings with a long-range effort which drifted just wide of Nicky Weaver’s goal.

They came even closer when Jamal Campbell-Ryce produced a pin-point cross for Jon Stead to head towards goal but, with Weaver beaten, James O’Connor was well positioned to head the ball off the line.

Wednesday’s new-look defence was thwarting everything the Robins had to throw at them but the Owls weren’t really creating many chances at the other end.

Weaver was to thank on the half-hour mark when he came off his line to deny Pitman again, this time after the striker had got on the end of a long ball forward.

The Owls’ only real clear-cut chance came on the stroke of half-time when new-boy Morrison rose to meet a Gary Teale free-kick but failed to find the target.

Half-Time: Bristol City 0-0 Wednesday

The longer Wednesday held out at the start of the second half, the more likely it would be that the visitors could well cause a shock and go down the other end to snatch an unlikely victory.

But, instead of holding off wave after wave of City attacks, the Owls came out a different side in the second half and took the game to their hosts.

It was a shock to the Robins, and Wednesday issues their first real threat from a breakaway when Meller and Chris Sedgwick linked well but Tommy Miller couldn’t produce the finishing touch to end the move with a goal.

Sedgwick was celebrating being the provider just minutes later though as he produced a superb cross for Teale to rush onto a head the ball beyond city stopper David James to give the visitors the lead.

It was a blow to the hosts and they were clearly hit for six with the Owls’ opener.

It was something Wednesday took full advantage of as they doubled their lead not long after.

This time the threat came from the left, where Jones whipped in a cross for Mellor to divert beyond James to make it 2-0 in favour of the visitors.

It was all Wednesday and, although higher on the league ladder, the Robins could do little about Wednesday’s attacking threat, a stark contrast to how the first half had panned out.

Sedgwick came close to making it 3-0 from another Jones cross but could only divert his effort over the bar when he perhaps should have done better.

The Owls’ third did come on 65 minutes though when Mellor and Morrison linked well, the latter smashing home from close range to all-but seal Wednesday’s progression into the next round.

The Robins were never in the game in the second half and, at 3-0 down, looked to have given up their cup hopes for this season.

If anything, Wednesday could, and probably should, have added to their tally in the latter stages with both Mellor and Reda Johnson coming close.

A superb day at the office for Wednesday, and a rare entry into the fourth round of the world’s most famous cup competition.

Full-Time: Bristol City 0-3 Wednesday


10 Replies to “Bristol City 0-3 Wednesday”

  • guess the irvine out lot will be quiet for another week at least after today.
    great 2nd half today , new boys both looked great

  • glad the 2 new defenders played, it was always going to be interesting to see who they were going to come into the side for and although Beavers had a decent game at Huddersfield it was no surprise to see him and Spurr replaced. it was a bad draw and I wasn’t expecting to go through but in the end a great result and can’t wait to see who we get in the 4th round.

  • Fantastic result today. Can’t wait for number 3 drawn out at 3:45 tomorrow, preferably a home draw.

  • Whole team played well today but Weaver’s first half save kept us in it. Thought new boy Johnson did not put a foot (or head) wrong so let’s hope he can keep out of jail! O’C was everywhere in the second half and kept causing them problems.

  • Great result today, but lets not get carried away, remember what happened after Hartlepool game and after Bristol Rovers, i still say he’s not the man for the job, and i’ll stick by it, 9 defeats tells it’s own story, thats way too many with not even half the season gone, but we’ll see who’s right come the end of the season.

  • Anyone who went to the match yesterday will have seen a fantastic second half display, probably the best under Alan Irvine. I for one am happy to give him a go with the new signings. They were different class today, almost draw joppingly good and fans there wondered where that display came from! Looking forward to the draw and match v charlton next weekend.

  • only listened to the game yesterday but delighted with what i heard. the new signing certainly had a day to remember. i really hope AI can now iron out this inconsistancy we show and get us moving in the right direcion now. would be nice to get 3 points and finally beat one of our promotion rivals.

  • My only bitterness yesterday was nothing to do with the game but of the Stewards not all mind cos ad a joke with a few of em especially Robocop 012,The hitlers ones was causing trouble for themselves with fans trying to be a bit too hands on which didnt go too well with some of our fans that was escorted out.One of stewards kept giving us the thumbs up wen we scored later telling me he was a Wednesdayite.Anyway a better performance today from all and lets hope we can carry it on into next weeks game and get 3pts.

Comments are closed.