Date: 25th November 2008 at 10:18pm
Written by:

Wednesday bagged a huge win at Blackpool thanks to second-half strikes from Marcus Tudgay and Deon Burton which saw Brian Laws’ men climb up the Championship table and bounce straight back from their disappointing defeat against Coventry with a second away win of the season at Bloomfield Road.

The Owls fully deserved the spoils, Tudgay’s opener just after the hour mark calming the nerves, and instead of Wednesday’s usual approach of sitting back on their lead, an attacking approach paid off as Burton sealed the win with five minutes to go.

Owls boss Brian Laws refused to make wholesale changes to the side that fell to defeat against the Sky Blues, with just one change in Deon Burton coming back into the starting line-up to replace Francis Jeffers who dropped to the bench.

The Owls started the game just a point above their hosts and it showed in the early stages with neither side carving out any clear cut chances in the blustery and cold conditions by the seaside.

Blackpool had recently signed midfielder Lee Hendrie on a loan deal from Sheffield United until January, and the former Aston Villa man will no doubt have been keen not only to get his career back on track but also to get one over the Owls.

And it was Hendrie who had the first half chance for the Tangerines when he fired his tame shot straight at Lee Grant in the Owls goal.

The Wednesday fans making the trip to Bloomfield Road will have undoubtedly had memories of the defeat that almost condemned the Owls to relegation towards the end of last season and will have been keen to see Wednesday take something from the match to make amends.

And Wednesday got back in to the game after Blackpool edged the opening, Jermaine Johnson lashing an effort just wide of goal as Wednesday carved out their first chance, but the Jamaican really should have done better with his attempt.

Burton had the next chance for Wednesday as Tudgay and Johnson exchanged passes at the edge of the box and set the Jamaican up but he scuffed his effort on goal as the Owls continued to cause problems for the hosts.

Blackpool had another former Blade in their starting line-up in the shape of Steve Kabba and the striker bent his curling effort into the arms of Grant as Blackpool created chances at the other end but never really threatened Grant.

The Owls’ forward line of Burton, Clarke and the attacking midfield threat of Tudgay linked well, with Burton seeing a deflected effort go over the bar and Tudgay also bending an effort into the arms of the stopper.

Burton was looking to make an impression in his first start in the blue and white for a number of weeks, and was impressing in the opening exchanges of the first half.

Wednesday saved their best chance of the half until last when Sean McAllister lashed a volley wide of goal when Clarke set the midfielder up, but the Owls could go into half-time happy with their efforts.

But they nearly went to waste when Alan Gow popped up for the hosts and hit the post with a chance out of nothing.

Half-Time: Blackpool 0-0 Wednesday

Owls boss Brian Laws will have told his troops to take the momentum into the second half and expect a period of play from the hosts in the process.

And he made a change for the start of the second period with the experienced head of Steve Watson coming on to replace McAllister.

The second half started in much the same vein as the first – with neither side creating any clear-cut chances in the opening ten minutes, with the midfield battle in full swing.

In Jermaine Johnson, Wednesday have a player who can create a chance out of nothing and he almost did with the first real chance of the second half when he went on a typical mazy run, beating a number of Blackpool defenders, before seeing his powerful effort well saved by Blackpool stopper Paul Rachubka.

Johnson had to be replaced minutes later through injury, Etienne Esajas coming on to replace him, but it was the Dutchman who was provider for the opening goal.

The tricky winger made an instant impact when he was left free on the left to produce a top-class cross for Tudgay to steer in just after the hour mark and give the Owls the advantage.

Wednesday have been known to sit back and defend their lead in previous matches this season, but Brian Laws bravely told his troops to continue to attack the hosts – a decision which was to pay off for the Wednesday gaffer.

Blackpool typically hit back, Gow again causing the problems for the Wednesday defence when he saw his effort well blocked by James O’Connor.

The Wednesday midfield did well to thwart any real chances from the hosts until the final ten minutes when Hammill fired just wide of goal.

But the visitors made the game secure in the final five minutes, Esajas again providing the ammunition for Burton to score his first goal of the season – something which must be a real confidence booster for the striker, and the Owls faithful.

Not only did the Owls secure a convincing win, but a clean sheet in the process will also be a major boost on the road for Brian Laws and his men – and they’ll be looking to take that into Saturday’s clash with Norwich City.

Full-Time: Blackpool 0-2 Wednesday

Blackpool: Rachubka, Baptiste (Barker 85), Edwards, Evatt, Martin, Taylor-Fletcher (McPhee 71), Hendrie, Southern, Hammill, Gow, Kabba, McPhee (Burgess 77). Subs Not Used: Fox, Jorgensen.

Wednesday: Grant, Buxton, Beevers, Wood, McMahon, Tudgay, McAllister (Watson 46), O’Connor, Johnson (Esajas 57), Burton, Clarke. Subs Not Used: Jeffers, Smith, Simek.